The incredible prizes range from organiser Jenny Walsh's stunning Creature Comforts cabinet (inspired by a child learning to walk and valued at €2,600) to the double-take Comfort Carafe by Locker 13 (a playful ceramic take on a ubiquitous product design worth €70), both of which are pictured below.
Leading furniture designer Jenny Walsh has organised the raffle in memory of her brother Shaun, who was born with cystic fibrosis. Word of her initiative soon spread in design circles and has resulted in the generous donations of Irish designed furniture, jewellery, homewares, prints and even a photography session, with a cumulative retail value of €7,000 at last count (items keep poring in).
Speaking of her brother, Jenny says: “My brother Shaun was one of the bravest people I’ve ever known. Being born with Cystic Fibrosis, he had more medical issues and spent more time in hospital than most of us can imagine. Despite everything he went through, I don’t think I ever once heard him complain.
“We were so blessed to have had him in our lives and hope that by contributing towards Cystic Fibrosis research we are honouring his memory while helping others who are still fighting for every breath to get the chance of a better life.”
The display of goodwill shown by Jenny’s colleagues in the Irish design world means a lot, she explains. “Shaun’s family are honoured that so many talented artists and designers have donated handmade award winning work to this raffle in his memory. Their generosity will hopefully lead to us raising much needed funds for Cystic Fibrosis research.”
It is hoped that the raffle will raise €10,000 to support cystic fibrosis research in Beaumont Hospital, Dublin. Tickets can be purchased with great ease through www.designforliferaffle.com for just €5 or 3 for €10. This showcase of contemporary Irish design will be exhibited in the Irish Design Shop, RHA Gallery, Ely Place, Dublin, from June 1st to 7th with the prize draw taking place on June 7th.
Some of the amazing Design for Life raffle prizes include:
- Creature Comforts Cabinet Jenny Walsh Design valued at €2,600
- Heirloom Jewellery box by Karl Sweeny, valued at €750 (pictured below)
- Ceramic wall art by Ulrika Holmquist, donated by the Irish Design Shop and valued at €600
- ‘C Tables’, a pair of side tables by Klimmek – Henderson, valued at €550 (pictured below)
- ‘Jellyfish’ Coffee table by Noel Whelan Design, valued at €450
- ‘Summer Shadows’ from award-winning photographer Joby Hickey, printed on museum etching paper from negative plate of gelatine, silver sulphide & ammonia. Valued at €380.
- Double Pod Lariat Necklace, winner of Best New Product Showcase 2012 by JLB Jewellery, valued at €275
- A Claire Mc Alister Silver Squares Necklace
- Crab Necklace from award-winning jeweller Eily O’Connell
- Perspectives Shelving Unit by Jenny Walsh Design, valued at €180
- Kite Chair by Sticks Fine Furniture
- ‘Tea Party’ Irish Linen Table Runner, winner of RDS National Crafts Competition by Jennifer Slattery, valued at €110
- Aesop’s Fable Necklace by Saba Jewellery, valued at €108 (pictured below)
- Earrings cast from acorns by Eily O’Connell, valued at €90
- A photo session in your own home with photographer Emily Quinn
- Handmade Wooden Stool by James (stickman) Carroll
- Diamond Earrings by Precious, Project 51, valued at €80
- Embroidered Wrap by Heather Finn Knitwear, valued at €75
- Allium lampshade by Klickity, valued at €70 (pictured below)
- Comfort Carafe from Locker 13, valued at €70
- Flourish lampshade by recent DIT graduate Kathryn Payne
- Limited Edition, Signed Print from Grand Grand
- “Time Flies” clock by Jenny Walsh Design, valued at €28 (pictured below)
- “Cuckoo Clock” by Jenny Walsh Design, valued at €25
- Skipping Rope by Nick Barker from Upcycle, as seen on Dragon’s Den!
Tickets can be purchased through www.designforliferaffle.com or through the Irish Design Shop, Bow Lane East, Dublin 2 - Irish Design Shop, RHA Gallery, Ely Place, Dublin 2 or Project 51, South William Street, Dublin2.