Thursday, November 10, 2011

Easy peasy lemon squeezy

Cup cakes / fairy cakes / queen cakes / small flour and sugar based round treats... the *secret* Cake Café ... rising star Bake My Cake ... bascially, cakes are on the brain.

I recently made my first cake at home (it's been three years since we moved in!).

New to this game, I choose a simple recipe from the excellent BBC Good Food, Tana Ramsay's Lemon Drizzle Cake

SHIZZLE MY DRIZZLE: Tana Ramsay's Lemon Drizzle Cake
Very simple, but I would add an extra lemon and cut back on the sugar.

Sadly, there's no photo of my attempt. It disappeared rather quickly! 

Here are some citrus-inspired finds on Etsy:

1. Remember cutting out lino (or potato shapes) in primary school? This linocut print ($20) by thebigharumph that puts my younger self's efforts to shame.

STEAL THE LINO-LIGHT: Lemon Yellow Linocut

2. I'm very fond of slogan prints (check out Bold & Noble where each is helpfully sized to fit IKEA frames). This cute tea towel ($15) by Dear Colleen subverts the 'when life hands you lemons' saying to substitute lemonade for a G&T. 

EVEN BITTER: When Life Hands You Lemons tea towel

3. Using Alexander Henry's Juicy fabric, this ironing board cover ($24) by Compelled to Craft has a sweet '60s feel. I love the pip insets.

PIPPED TO THE POST: Ironing board cover

4. And here's something that combines lemons, cakes and homewares: these deceptively delicious lemon sugar cupcake soaps ($3.99 each) by Barringer Bath and Body

JUICE LIKE THE REAL THING: Lemon sugar cupcake soaps



No comments:

Post a Comment